Seabrook Island Village (SIV), Neighbors Helping Neighbors, provides services through a group of trained and vetted volunteers with the goal of helping community members of any age remain independent and active in the community.
- Transportation can be provided for medical appointments, trips to the local pharmacy, grocery shopping, trips to ACE Hardware or rides to social/cultural events on Seabrook and Kiawah Islands. Members should make requests as soon as an appointment is set to allow time for a Volunteer to schedule. A 3 day advance notice is required for service requests, unless there is an emergency. Grocery requests can be scheduled automatically on a weekly or every other week basis. Transportation requests are limited to 4 per week.
- Basic home chores and maintenance include replacing batteries in smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, replacing overhead light bulbs, and replacing air filters. Chores may include moving a heavy object, using a step ladder, unpacking/putting away groceries and helping with simple computer/ electronic/TV remote issues. Members are expected to provide necessary supplies. Requests for services not listed will be performed at the discretion of the Seabrook Island Village volunteer team. Major repair work is not within the scope of our program.
- Companionship visits are provided to members who are housebound, either temporarily or longer-term, for purposes of providing social contact. All visits are generally scheduled for once or twice a week for no more than two hours. The visit may include activities of interest to the member, such as conversation, letter writing, reading aloud, watching television, and playing games.
- Caregiver relief visits are provided to members in their home to give the family caregiver an opportunity to leave the home for a short while. Caregivers are asked to complete a form which includes information about how they can be reached during the caregiver visit. Caregiver visits are limited to once per week for four hours or twice per week for two hours.
- Reassuring calls are provided for members who live alone and would like a personal call to check on their well-being each weekday morning. If a member knows they will not be home to respond to the call, they must contact SIV in advance.
- Social Fit Exercise Classes are an optional service available to members at an additional cost. These classes are designed to improve endurance, balance, strength and flexibility. They are led by a certified fitness instructor with no more than 10 participants. The members enroll and pay for classes before each monthly session which consists of a minimum of four classes per month and up to twenty classes per month. Costs vary depending on which classes the member enrolls. For Neighbors Helping Neighbors’ current members, your SIPOA amenity card will be charged (at a discounted price in 2023) each month for registered class(es). For more information, please call 843-580-2088. The Lake House semi- private classes can be found at SIPOA.org.
- $200 per year per person frorm January 1 - December 31
- Short term 3 month membership for surgery, P/T etc $30 per month
Annual membership begins on January 1 of each year but new memberships are accepted at any time. Your rate for a partial-year membership will be prorated based on your acceptance date. Partial months will be counted as full months in the calculation. For example, if you join on May 18th, you will be charged for eight (8) full months (May-December) at $16.66 a month or $133 for the remainder of the year.
- Access to direct services performed by the Village’s volunteers including transportation, simple household chores, home visits, and reassuring phone calls.
- Access to the Village’s list of local vendors and businesses who can provide other services for you on a fee for service basis.
The application process has two simple steps. First, complete the member application form on our website, which will help us get to know the person and the services requested. Next, we will meet with the person/family member to review service needs and develop a plan.
If you are interested in subscribing to the Village, CONTACT us through this website, email us at email@example.com, or call at 843-580-2088 and leave a message. If you call in our open hours, M-F, 9am-5pm, we will get back to you the same day. Otherwise, we will return your call on the next day we are open.
If you are aware of someone who might benefit from the services of the Seabrook Island Village, please urge them to contact us.